Friday, February 5, 2010

Poor Man's Food (which I eat even when I'm not on a local kick)

Liz and I picked up our CSA basket on Wednesday and now have winter vegetables, mostly in the rootaceae family (e.g. carrots, turnips, onions, garlic), but we also got plenty of winter greens and a smattering of citrus. I used a trove of these vegetables and some wheat berries from Richardson Farms to make wheat berry soup. Admittedly, it did end up a bit thin and inspired my adviser to say, "It's only been 4 days and you've reduced yourself to gruel," but the taste was great and the wheat berries provided some much needed carbohydrates.

In addition to the CSA basket, I also discovered the first local cheese that actually tasted like cheese, this winged savior was Pure Luck Dairy's Goat Feta. Pure Luck is just down the road in Dripping Springs. I've enjoyed their cheese with salads, gruel, in omelets, and straight up with a class of wine. I'm looking forward to finding more cheese and hopefully some goat milk from their dairy.

Wheat Berry Soup

2 cups wheat berries
collection of vegetables
1 tbl spoon olive oil

saute onions and garlic in oil until soft
add wheat berries
add whatever spices you want
cover with water
boil
turn down heat and simmer for ~20-30min

add peeled roots (in may case turnips and carrots)

simmer for 30 min

I like to add a few slices of Parmesan cheese to my bowl right before eating, but before this step the soup is vegan.

Pure Luck Omelet

3 eggs, cracked
1 dollop of milk
copious Pure Luck Goat Feta

Whip it Good
cook eggs in an omelet manner
add feta
fold and flip without ruining

I've found a drizzle of honey to be the perfect topper, but that could also be due to an intense desire for anything sweet.


Contrary to popular rumor, Liz and I are a team nothing more. Here is her separate soup recipe as proof...Notice I'm not in the picture.


Liz's cream-of-farmer's market

Sauteed onions garlic and mushrooms in olive oil
Throw in chopped collards, open leaves from the top of a brussel sprout stem, turnips and carrots and sear them a bit
Add water and let everything stew
(I threw in some old rice at this point)

Once it cooks down add a bunch of milk and let it heat up until just before boiling. I used an immersion blender to get a uniform texture but its not necessary

I topped it off with a sprig of parsley and a bunch of cilantro from my garden

No comments:

Post a Comment